C&C Consulting Engineers has been engaged by the MBTA as part of an interdisciplinary team to provide design and construction phase services for a new Intermodal Center at Hingham Shipyard with upgraded ferry terminal facilities and office space. The Hingham Shipyard was originally developed by the U.S. government in 1942 to assist in the war effort during World War II. The new Center must be consistent with the historical significance of the property and the marine orientation the land has had since it was first developed.
The scope of this project involves the design and construction of a 10,448-sf, two-story facility over a 2.7-acre project site owned by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). The primary function of this new facility is to serve the MBTA’s Route 220 bus passengers as well as the MBTA Commuter Boat passengers. It will allow commuters to move much more efficiently between intermodal transit services to reach Boston’s South Shore. It will also provide tourists with much easier access to the beautiful Boston Harbor Islands. Average ferry ridership is approximately 2,100 during the winter and 2,600 during the summer. The DCR, Harbor Islands Cruises, Massachusetts Environmental Police staff, and the Hingham Harbor Master will also be key users of the new facility.
C&C’s specific responsibility within this project is to perform surveying services and utility locations. Utility requirements for the new facility include electric, telecommunication, gas, domestic water, and sanitary sewer services. Piers 1 and 2 will also require electric and domestic water services. During a previous redevelopment of the Hingham Shipyard, public utilities along Shipyard Drive were fully upgraded. All new utilities for the new Intermodal Center are expected to connect to these newly upgraded facilities. The Center will also connect to the 10-inch Town of Hingham Sewer Main located along Shipyard Drive. This sewer main is part of the North Sewer District and connects to the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority through Town facilities.